This is an excellent Paleo recipe.
- 4 (12-ounce) lamb shanks
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large sliced onion
- 2 to 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. each:
- fresh minced ginger
- apple cider vinegar
- coconut aminos
- 10 dried figs
- 1 ½ C. bone broth (See Chapter 3 – Lunch)
- Slice the onion pole to pole. Remove the stems and cut the figs lengthwise.
- Set the Instant Pot on the sauté function and add one tablespoon of the coconut oil to the pot.
- Put two of the shanks into the IP, turning occasionally, and brown all sides. Place in a bowl or plate, and repeat with the remainder of the oil and two shanks and set to the side. Set the juices to the side for step 6.
- Combine the ginger and onion into the empty pot for about three minutes (stirring frequently).
- Blend in the garlic, fish sauce, coconut aminos, and vinegar; stirring in the figs and broth while scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the IP.
- Return the reserved juices and lamb shank making sure the meat is covered with liquid; lock the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to the high-pressure setting for one hour. Turn off the machine and use the natural release function.
- Open the cooker and place the shanks in a serving dish.
- Skim away the surface fat and throw it away.
- Pour the sauce over the shanks and serve with some rice.
Yields: 4 servings